Hello friends in this post I’ll show how I made my own mini DIY CNC engraving cum Milling machine using Arduino and GRBL CNC shield.
The frame of machine is made up of 12mm plywood which is very strong and easy to work with.
I have used 500W spindle for this mini cnc engraving machine which have enough power to work done.
working area of this machine is 120 x 120 x 30 mm.
I have tested this machine on Acrylic sheet, PCB, Wood and works fine.
I have not tested with aluminium yet, but yes for shaloow engraving with high quality end mill surely we achieve good result on aluminium as well.
So let see further in this post how to build this mini powerful diy cnc engraving machine.
please watch the video complete I have display all construction details in the video
- Arduino UNO 1nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- GRBL CNC Shield 1nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- A4988 driver 4nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- Nema 17 stepper motor 3nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- 5mm to 8mm coupling 3nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- 8mm SS smooth Rod 240mm 4nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- 8mm SS smooth Rod 130mm 2nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- T8 Lead screw 240mm 2nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- T8 Lead screw 130mm 1nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- Lead screw nut T8 3nos.
- Flange bearing 8mm 3nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- shaft holder SHF8 8mm 12nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- 8mm Linear bearing SC8UU 8nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- 8mm Linear bearing SCL8UU 2nos Aliexpress
- 12mm Plywood 15Sqft
- M4 & M5 nut bolts
- 165 x 120 6mm Acrylic sheet 1nos.
- 500W spindle complete set 1nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
- 24V DC 8Amps SMPS 1nos. Amazon.com / Amazon.in
Above all links are affiliate if you order from those links i get some commission which is helpful me to make new content, before ordering any item please make sure about credibility of seller
Download the CNC machine dimensions CAD file from below
All the dimension related to machine is mention in cad file its scaled to ratio 1:1 you can directly print is and cut past on plywood for easy cutting of parts.
Here I am cutting a 12mm plywood using jigsaw machine to make the frame of CNC machine.
I am using wood because it is enough strong for this purpose also it is light weight and easy to cut and making holes.
I have marked the holes location on plywood and making hole using a vertical drill machine I have use 25mm drill bit to make hole for stepper motor.
After cutting and drilling holes on 12mm plywood I clamp it on right angle clamps to make drill screw on the edges. in this way our basic frame is ready.
Here I use 240mm of 8mm smooth rod and 8mm 240mm Lead screw details
Linear bearing and shaft holder quantity is avail at material required section.
Here I installed the Z axis also
This 500W spindle motor this is very silent in operation and powerful at same time, this spindle kit came with all necessary components like 52mm spindle clamp ER11 Collet and wide range of collet chuck 1mm to 6mm power supply etc.
Wiring details of CNC engraving machine
In this Machine I used GRBL firmware
3D CAD CAM Software
I have used Fusion 360 for 3D design and tool path generation
Watch this video to know how to generate Tool path and G-code for this CNC machine in fusion 360
G Code sender
I have used GRBL Controller software to send gcode to machine